Develop pupils' speaking and listening skills and wider understanding of language
A focus on developing oral language skills is especially important for the development of a range of reading and writing skills in this age group. Useful speaking and listening activities include:
- Pupils read books aloud and are encouraged to have conversations about them
- A teacher models inference-making by asking relevant questions aloud and answering them herself
- Pupils engage in paired or group work so they can share the thought processes that lead them to make inferences
- Activities which extend pupils' spoken and receptive vocabulary
- A teacher encourages children to clearly articulate what they are going to say in their writing.