Schools should use structured interventions with reliable evidence of effectiveness. There are presently only a handful of programmes in the UK for which there is a secure evidence base, so if schools are using programmes that are ‘unproven’, they should try and replicate some common elements of effective interventions:
• Sessions are often brief (20– 50mins), occur regularly (3–5 times per week) and are maintained over a sustained period (8–20 weeks). Careful timetabling is in place to enable this consistent delivery
• TAs receive extensive training from experienced trainers and/or teachers (5–30 hours per intervention)
• The intervention has structured supporting resources and lesson plans, with clear objectives
• TAs closely follow the plan and structure of the intervention
• Assessments are used to identify appropriate pupils, guide areas for focus and track pupil progress. Effective interventions ensure the right support is being provided to the right child
• Connections are made between the out-of-class learning in the intervention and classroom teaching (see Recommendation 7)
EEF Evidence Based TA Led Literacy And Numeracy Interventions PDF | 260.25 kb
EEF Conducting An Interventions Health Check PDF | 27.12 kb
Catch Up Literacy and Numeracy PDF | 487.54 kb
Presentation shared at the Interventions Fair from Catch Up.
Switch On Reading and Writing PDF | 2.75 mb
Presentation of Switch On Reading and Writing, given at the Interventions Fair.
Next Steps for booking Interventions WORD | 42.28 kb
If you are looking to book training for one of the Interventions represented at our Interventions fair, please see the details and booking information below.
NELI Nuffield Early Language Intervention PDF | 1.86 mb
The presentation from the interventions fair in January.
TA Toolkit Crowland South View WORD | 268.99 kb
Toolkit for TAs that includes how to apply the scaffolding framework.
Mobilise AP North Somercotes WORD | 1.25 mb
Y3 TA shares how a combination of target words and an app are improving spelling and increasing confidence in writing.
Banovallum AP Interventions WORD | 832.05 kb
How Banovallum held its own interventions twilight with all staff.